2013年9月13日星期五

Diet for Dogs with Cancer Kale Superfood Flavanoids

Diet for Cancer Dogs


The Diet for Cancer Dogs


The biggest challenge for me as a pet owner was to fine tune dinners for Buford.  My husband cooks professionally for a living and dinner in our household was always something we shared together. Now we are more worried about cooking for the dog , so I now have it down to a science.  I can make his dinner in about ten minutes if I cook the chicken every few days.


Goodbye Grains and Carbs


I took three cancer diet suggestions and tailored them to Buford’s preferences. All dogs may be different, but the key here is to keep the dog eating and keep him interested in eating.  I cut out all grains, and all unnecessary carbs. He gets no rice and no oatmeal.  He was a dog who was raised on grains so this has been a huge challenge.  He will still attack me wishing for a pizza crust. Sorry pal, not going to happen. I’m not feeding the cancer with grains.


Replace the Carbs with Natural Fats to Fatten Them Back Up


At first I had to cook up some pork back fat and cube it into small cubes.  My dog initially dropped weight and looked like he was wasting away to nothing. Changing to a diet with no grains or carbs is hard on them. So for Buford I could give him a few ounces of pork back fat mixed into his food. Normally this is something that a normal healthy dog may not digest properly, but in Buford’s case his body was waxing and waning for carbs.


Natural carbs were soon to follow in my chicken concoction. I am proud to say I feed him enough chicken natural fats now he isn’t wasting away and is holding weight well.


Move From Once a Day Feeding to Twice a Day or More


Buford used to eat a big meal every night. He was not faring well eating once a day. Dr. Carol advised me to try twice a day. I give him an overwhelming portion at night, sometimes, so much I know he will have some left to refrigerate for morning. I will feed him first thing, sometimes even wake him up to feed him before I go to work.  Twice a day is very important. By the time I get home he is starving.


Chicken Concoction : Jellified is Good Four out of Five Days


Every few days I boil down some chicken. I do about three days at a time. The goal is to have enough chicken, jellified stock, and natural chicken fat to feed your dog dinner for three days. To do this you need a pretty large family pack of thighs, or legs.  I prefer legs and thighs for this mixture. Also the bones are minimal and they are easy to pick.  I literally boil the crap out of it until the chicken is falling off the bone and most of the water in the pot has evaporated. Now I suppose the right way would be to use distilled water but I still use tap water (hey, I’m boiling the crap out of it okay and I can’t be perfect on everything!)  I will sometimes remove the chicken and continue boiling down the stock, picking the chicken them returning the bones to the boiling water. I swear there’s good protein in those bones and I’m like the lady with rock soup, determined to squeeze everything out of those bones for my cancer dog. When I say boil it dwn,  I mean you must boil this stock down to nill. If it was 3/4 full you are shooting for 1/4 full.  Once you have done this remove bones or chicken parts and let it cool in a glass bowl. It will overnight coagulate. It becomes a big jellified mess of chicken stock. If you don’t see it looking like jello, you haven’t boiled it enough.The top will form a nice layer of fat that your dog needs to replace the lack of carbs he gets because he doesn’t eat grains. The jellified concoction is what I puree in with his kale.  Pick your chicken and put that in a bowl, pouring a bit of chicken stock in there to keep it moist. Include cartridge from the tip of the legs and all the skins.  I get a large casserole full of chicken after doing a family pack. Unfortunately, Buford being 60 lbs will only last him three days from a family pack. It does get costly but he’s worth it. I refrigerate it and use this for approximately three days.


If you really want to go the extra mile and save time have a dog cooking dinner night. You can cook several family packs and repeat this process, wrapping portions in saran and bagging them in your freezer. Save the stock in small containers. Therefore, you can cook up a few weeks’ worth. You can pull out a small prepped up pack each day and small container of stock to thaw in a bowl in the fridge for the next night’s dinner. I’m not this far ahead.


My dog prefers chicken over red meats and so he will eat this four out of five days.  I will give him once a week red meat, like a pan grilled steak and cut it up medium with a hint of rare with the fat attached to the steak. I will cube it and add that to the pureed veggies. The fattier the steak the better.   As you aren’t supposed to use ground meats of any kind the other alternatives if liver. I hate making him this because it stinks to high heaven and the whole kitchen reeks afterwards.


I do not give him pork, for one my dog vomits on pork meat and his skin breaks out. He’s technically allergic to pork but what is amazing is he can eat bacon and pork back fat with no issues. So I’m not sure what it is.  No fish for dinner but if he’s dying for a snack I may let him nibble on some of my tuna fish. I always have tuna made up with mayo and dill.  This is probably a big no no with the mercury scare and such, but the way I see it it’s protein and beats giving him a milk bone.  That little bit of mayo is adding fat and well, it sure beats a hot dog.


Overall I’ve tried very hard to adapt his diet and I’m in shock he has had less trouble than me!


Kale : Four Days out of Seven But All Greens Must Be Pureed


Whatever veggies you are using must be processed to break down the cells for easier absorption in your pet.


Now if you ask me Kale is an important superfood. Here is a great article on Kale, and it aids in Cancer because it has a phytochemical called sulforaphane which  helps the body’s detoxification enzymes clear potentially carcinogenic substances out of your system.  It’s said to have 45 different Flavinoids which not only boost the immune system and help in detoxification but it’s simply amazing.  I don’t cook the kale. I pick the leaves off maybe two to three stems (he thinks the stems are bitter and will turn his nose up at this if you include the stems I learned this rather quickly) and after I’ve mixed the leaves with some jellified chicken stock I puree them. I mix them into my chicken concoction.


Buford gets kale at least four days out of seven.


The Rest of the Days: Veggie Mix


Two days I will rinse and do the same with collard greens. I used to boil them first to soften them, he doesn’t mind if they are raw or not, but he doesn’t like the stems.


The last day is broccoli. This is a cousin of kale but Buford is picky about it. It bothers him as it will give him gas. He will not eat it raw.  I have to steam it first, then puree it or he will not eat it. It then is pureed with the jellified chicken.  He really hates it but he will eat it and I do this to change up his dinner. I pay the price later that night when he’s farting.


Sometimes, I sneak in green peppers, but he is not fond of them. Red peppers upset his tummy but I am a huge fan of them.  I try to add in a sliver here and there and purify it to heck. Only once every few weeks will I mix in a carrot and I do this with skins on pureed but I have mixed feelings about this. t. I am a huge fan of raw carrots


Here’s A Sample of Buford’s diet:


Morning: Small bit of leftover from the night before (if any.) If not, small portion of boiled chicken.  Prep Time: Zilch


Night Jellifiedd Stock Pureed in With Kale, and Chicken Skins/Cartlidge/Boiled Chicken mix – large potion with meds dumped on top Prep Time: 10 Min


note: I make sure to check that he’s swallowed all pills. If not I will make a chicken meatball with a medicine stuffed inside til all the meds are gone.


save leftovers for morning…repeat…


Fuck Cancer


Buford’s Health Today: Absolutely Amazing. He’s been running, playing and doing well crapping lately. His quality of life is great, and it makes me very happy . I’ve added Carnivora but I’ll write more on that later.


没有评论:

发表评论